Policies & Procedures


Illinois students who want to take courses at Parkland College during the summer, fall or spring terms must download, carefully read, and fill out the appropriate Concurrent Enrollment form.

For U.S. resident students: click here
For international students: click here

Important note: Students using Financial Aid must complete the Student Financial Aid Concurrent Enrollment Agreement.

You’ll also need to apply to Parkland as a non-degree seeking student before you will be able to register for courses.

Once you have completed the courses, you will need to request a transcript be sent from Parkland to UIUC in order for the courses to be included in your UIUC student record.

Probation or Drop Status

Students are considered in good standing if they have met minimum performance criteria—as judged by the cumulative GPA and major GPA—and they are progressing toward a timely completion of their degree requirements.

Academic Probation

Academic probationary status serves as a warning that poor academic performance or failure to complete requirements in a timely fashion may jeopardize future enrollment status at and graduation from the University of Illinois. Probation levels identify a specific grade-point average which students are expected to earn in their next semester of enrollment on a minimum of 12 graded credit hours. 

If students achieve a GPA level required by their probation, but their cumulative GPA remains below 2.00 and they are not deficient in meeting other academic eligibility and progress requirements, they will be approved to continue on probationary status, until such time as they have achieved good standing.

As long as students are on probationary status, they may not elect the credit/no credit grading option for any course. Academic probationary status may not be cleared by attendance at another institution. The probation rules are listed below. Students may also refer to the Student Code.

A student may be placed on (or similarly, removed from) a probationary status at any time that the College of Business judges that the student’s scholastic record warrants such action.

Rules For Probation

Beginning Freshman

  • Code1 A beginning freshman who does not earn at least a 2.00 (C) University GPA in the first semester is placed on a 2.00 probation for the next term in which that student is registered.

Students Other Than Beginning Freshmen

  • Code1A A student whose cumulative University GPA is 2.00 or better and who does not earn at least a 2.00 average in any semester or summer session is placed on a 2.00 probation for the next term in which the student is registered.
  • Code 1B A student whose cumulative University GPA is 1.75-1.99, inclusive, is placed on a 2.25 probation.
  • Code 1C A student whose cumulative University GPA is less than 1.75 is placed on 2.33 probation.
  • Code 1G, 1H, 1P, 1T College-determined probation levels assigned at academic progress review.

Academic Drop

Drop rules are based on University semester GPA, University cumulative GPA, or combined all-University cumulative GPA and transfer GPA (used only if the transfer average is below 2.00). The applicable GPA will depend on the student’s current status and whether the student has completed work elsewhere. These drop rules may be waived when the College of Business judges that the student’s scholastic record warrants such action.

  • Code 17 A student who fails to earn at least a 1.0 (D) University GPA in any academic semester (not including summer session) will be dropped.
  • Code 17 A student on probation who fails to meet his or her established probation level will be dropped, unless he or she has achieved at least a 2.00 or better University GPA for that semester, and his or her cumulative GPA is at least a 2.00.
  • Code 18 A student who fails to make satisfactory progress toward a degree or who fails to complete the conditions of admission or continuation will be dropped.

Only students dropped under Code 17 may appeal a Drop Status (see below).

Appealing an Academic Drop Status

Students who are dropped from the college for academic deficiencies are informed of this action in a formal letter from the college. Students who are eligible to appeal this drop status (Code 17) will be explicitly informed of this option and given information about the process and deadline.

Students who have been dropped and re-enter in the preceding semester, or whose academic records show deficiencies so severe as to create a doubt of degree completion, are placed on “special drop” status (Code 18) and are not permitted to appeal. Some students are furthermore denied any additional consideration for re-entry to the College of Business.

Kinesiology: 4 hours of activity courses, numbered 100–110. The same section of a course may not be repeated for credit.
199 Courses: 12 hours maximum.
Foreign Language: May receive credit for courses only 2 levels below highest level taken in high school. For example: 4 years of high school French—no credit below FR 102.
Math: Credit is not given for Math 012, 014, or 016. Once the math requirement is completed, lower level math courses cannot be taken for credit. Preparatory math courses are included in the undergraduate cumulative grade point average.
Military & Naval Science: 9 hours maximum
CR/NCR: 18 hours

The Credit/No Credit Grading Option (CR/NC) offers Business students the opportunity to complete an Elective course for ungraded credit. An Elective course does not fulfill University requirements, General Education, Business Core, Major or Minor requirements. Students must petition the College to be permitted to change a graded Elective course to the CR/NC option or to change CR/NC back to a Letter Grade. The CR/NC Petition must be approved before this grading option is permitted. Below is a specific list of restrictions that must be met to elect the CR/NC option.

How Do I Request A Course As Credit/No Credit?

Complete the Credit/No Credit Option form. You will be notified if your request is denied.

What are the Deadlines for a Credit/No Credit Request and to Change Credit/No Credit Back to a Letter Grade?

Full Semester Course: The deadline to request these options is the 8th week of the semester.

1st 8 Week Semester Course: Generally, the deadline to request CR/NC option for a course occurs at the end of the 4th week of full semester classes. Check with the University calendar at the Office of Admissions and Records website to confirm the last day to request CR/NC or to change back to a Letter Grade for a 1st 8 Week Semester course.

2nd 8 Week Semester Course: Students electing CR/NC option or to change from CR/NC back to a Letter Grade for a 2nd 8 Week course will need to submit a written request. CR/NC forms are available in 1055 BIF. Generally, the deadline to submit a CR/NC request for a 2nd 8 Week Semester course occurs at the end of the 12th week of Full Semester classes.

No changes may be made after any deadlines.

What Are The Restrictions?

  • Business students must be in Good Academic standing to request this option.
  • Students on Probation may not elect this option.
  • A maximum of 18 credit hours using this grade mode may be applied toward degree hours.
  • A maximum of 2 courses per semester are allowed as CR/NC for Full-Time Students.
  • Summer Session students may elect only one course under the CR/NC option.
  • A letter grade of “C-” or higher is needed to earn CR and credit hours. A letter grade of “D+” or lower is converted to NC that does not earn credit hours.
    • Instructors are not informed of those students in their courses who are taking coursework under the CR/NC option and they will report the usual final letter grades at the end of the course. The final grades are automatically converted to either CR or NC.
    • CR/NC courses are not counted toward the cumulative and semester GPAs, but are included as part of the total credit hours.
  • Only elective courses may be taken using this option.
    • University requirements, General Education, Business Core, Major or Minor requirements coursework must be taken for a letter grade.
    • All Accountancy and Finance courses must be taken for a letter grade, including elective Accountancy and Finance courses that are not required for graduation.

Important To Note When Considering The CR/NC Option:

  • Employers prefer any business coursework to be completed as graded credit rather than a CR.
  • Many Graduate and Professional schools will calculate Admission GPA based on the last sixty hours of undergraduate work and assign a low grade value to CR courses. They may also convert a NC into a failing grade since they do not know whether the actual grade was a “D” or “F”.
  • Student Athletes electing the CR/NC option need to exercise caution if they are to satisfy Big Ten and NCAA academic regulations. Please check with your Athletic Counselor before electing CR/NC.
  • Seniors: any courses awarded NC (a grade of “D+” or lower) will NOT be counted towards the 124 Hour Graduation requirement and can delay your graduation until the hour requirement is fulfilled.

All new freshmen enter the College of Business with unassigned majors. It is recommended that students declare a major before entering junior year.

You may choose or change your major by submitting the Change of Major form.

Fall & spring semester: after the tenth day of class through the end of the last working day before early registration begins. Unassigned majors may declare major at any time.

The process for officially pursuing a minor is explained at http://provost.illinois.edu/education/advising-resources/pursuing-undergraduate-minor/how-to-declare-a-minor/.

A list of undergraduate minors is included in the Academic Catalog.

Students may pursue dual degrees with a combination of the Business majors.
• Accountancy/Finance
• Accountancy/major in the Department of Business Administration
• Finance/major in the Department of Business Administration

In order to receive dual degrees in the College of Business you must meet the following requirements:
• At least 30 additional hours of University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign credits (minimum of 154 hours for two College of Business Bachelor’s degrees).
• A minimum of 90 hours must be earned from Urbana-Champaign campus courses.
• Must be completed within the allowable 9-semester limit on enrollment.
• Degrees must be awarded simultaneously.

The College of Business can approve a substitution to the foreign language requirement for students with disabilities that make it impossible to learn a foreign language. Specific documentation is required from students, faculty, learning disability/rehabilitation specialists, and psychologists/psychiatrists.

Petition for Accommodation

What is grade replacement?

Starting in Fall 2010, all undergraduate students have the option to repeat courses in which they earned a C- or below and use the new grade to replace the grade they earned in the first attempt.

To see all of the requirements and limitations of this policy, carefully review the policy information below.

How do I obtain approval to replace a course grade?

Students must register their intent to use the course repeat for grade replacement option by completing a form in the Office of Undergraduate Affairs in 1055 BIF during the first half of the term in which the course is being repeated.

How is grade replacement viewed by graduate/professional schools?

Students considering applying to law school should read this message from the Pre-Law Advising Services website regarding the Law School Admissions Council.

Pre-health students considering any type of health professional school should read the information on The Career Center’s Apply to a Health Profession School/Program webpage to learn how this policy is applied to the various health professional programs.

Grade Replacement Policy

  1. Undergraduate students may repeat courses for grade replacement according to the following set criteria. If these conditions are not met, the general policy governing repeated courses applies.
    • Students may repeat for grade replacement up to a total of 4 distinct courses, not to exceed a maximum of 10 semester hours, taken at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
    • A course in which an academic integrity violation has been officially reported may not be repeated for grade replacement.
    • A course may be repeated for grade replacement only once.
    • Courses may be repeated for grade replacement only in those cases in which students received grades of C-, D+, D, D-, or F on the first attempt.
    • Variable credit courses must be taken for the same number of credit hours when repeated for grade replacement. Special topics courses must be taken for the same topic when repeated for grade replacement.
    • A student who has been awarded a degree from the University of Illinois may not subsequently repeat a course from that degree program for the purposes of grade replacement.
  2. When a student repeats a course for grade replacement, the transcript is affected as follows:
    • Both course enrollments and corresponding grades appear on the official transcript.
    • The first course enrollment on the student’s transcript will be permanently identified as a course that has been repeated for grade replacement.
    • Where a course has been repeated for grade replacement, the course credit earned will be counted only once toward degree and program requirements. In the event that the student should fail the course on the second attempt, the student does not forfeit the original credit.
    • When a course has been repeated for grade replacement, only the grade received in the second enrollment for the course will count in the student’s grade point average. In the event that the student should fail the course on the second attempt, while having earned a passing grade in the first attempt, the general policy governing course repeats applies: all grades received, passed, or failed will be counted in the graduation average.
  3. Students must register their intent to use the course repeat for grade replacement option by completing a form in the Office of Undergraduate Affairs in 1055 BIF during the first half of the term in which the course is being repeated.

Notification of Intent to Graduate

If you want to graduate, you have to notify the College of Business. You’ll do it at the same time that you register for your final semester of classes through the student registration system.

      • Select the “graduation” option from the main menu of UI Integrate
      • Click “notify of intent” and select month
      • Update diploma address
      • Check the graduation information webpage for ceremony information

If you don’t do it by the 10th day of class, complete the degree list application form. Otherwise, your name won’t be added to the pending degree list—and the date of your degree award and diploma will be delayed.

If your plans change and you no longer intend to graduate at the end of the term, you’ll need to complete this form to have your name removed from the degree list.

Completion of Degree Requirements

The university establishes a degree certification date following the completion of each term. If you’re on the graduation list, you must complete all degree requirements— including requirements to formally announce your candidacy for a degree—by the degree certification date for that term.

College Graduation Honors

To graduate with honors you must meet the following GPA requirements which are based on your total cumulative GPA. For transfer students, the computation is based on your cumulative GPA and the GPA in your UIUC coursework.

Honors: 3.500
High Honors: 3.750
Highest Honors: 3.900

University Honors

The names of students who earn Bronze Tablet are recorded on a plaque which hangs in the main hall of the University Library.

  • You must be in the top 3 percent of your college, calculated on grades earned through the term prior to graduation.
  • Transfer students must earn at least 40 hours of credit at the Urbana campus to be eligible, and their cumulative university averages must be as high as those of students in their college who have completed all their work on the Urbana campus.

How your degree is certified

The university establishes a degree certification date following the completion of each term. Students on the graduation list and others who wish to graduate at the end of a given term (for example, students who are completing make–up work or who are completing remaining requirements through non–residential enrollment) must have all degree requirements officially completed by the degree certification date for that term.

If You Miss Certification Deadlines

The College of Business and campus policy don’t allow individual degrees to be retroactively awarded. Nor does the policy allow retroactive posting of additional majors, minors, or other academic curricular certifications to a degree that has been awarded. Students who confirm completion of outstanding degree requirements—including the requirement to formally announce their candidacy for the degree—after the official degree certification date for a particular term will have their names added to the next available graduation list. However, such students may request and receive a letter confirming their completion of all requirements for the degree and confirming the date upon which the degree will be awarded. (You can request the letter from the Business Undergraduate Affairs Office in 1055 BIF.)

First, talk to your academic advisor about why you want to drop the course after the deadline. If you then decide to ask to drop the class, complete the Late Appeal Form. Fill in your portion of the form and attach a narrative explaining your reasons for requesting the late drop. Have your instructor complete the his/her section of the form. Then submit the completed form in 1055 BIF. A committee will review the petition and notify you of the decision within seven to ten business days. You must continue to attend class and complete assignments in the course until you receive permission to drop the course from the dean’s office.

You’ll need to average 15-16 credit hours per semester in order to finish a degree in eight semesters. The minimum course load required for full-time status is 12 hours. The maximum course load allowed is 18 hours. The registration system will automatically block you from dropping below 12 hours or registering for more than 18 hours.

Course Underloads
Business approves course loads of less than 12 hours in special circumstances, such as seniors in their final semester who need fewer than 12 hours to graduate and students with a documented illness who are unable to carry a full load (medical documentation is required). Students may request an underload for other reasons, but the college generally does not approve more than one such request. Complete the Overload/Underload Approval form to request an underload.

  • International students must consult the Office of International Student and Scholar Services before initiating any change in their course schedule.
  • Students on academic probation must maintain full-time status.

Course Overloads
Students may carry as many as 18 hours without special permission. Approval for programs of more than 18 hours (overload) must be obtained from the college. Complete the Overload/Underload Approval form to request an overload. The College policy regarding overloads is noted below:

  • New, first-time freshmen may not overload in their first or second semester.
  • Requests of 19–20 hours will be approved only if the student has at least a 3.00 cumulative GPA and has successful completed 15–16 hours in each of the prior two semesters.
  • Requests of over 20 hours will be considered only if the student has at least a 3.50 cumulative GPA and has successfully completed 15–16 hours in each of the prior two semesters.
  • Students in the College of Business may not exceed two approved overloads within the 9 semester limit on enrollment.

Re-entry after a Withdrawal, Cancellation, or Leave of Absence

College of Business students who Withdraw, Cancel or chose a Leave of Absence are automatically eligible for re-entry into the College and curriculum they were previously enrolled under two conditions:

  1. The student is in good standing with the College of Business and UIUC
  2. The student’s Final Authorized Term has not expired. Students are allowed 9 semesters to complete the Business degree.

Note: A student who was on probation will continue to be on probation when they re-enter.

If a student meets the conditions for automatic re-entry but have been absent for more than one semester (not including Summer Sessions), the student must contact a Records Officer in the Office of Undergraduate Affairs at 217-333-2740 records@business.illinois.edu in order to reactivate their account and be assigned a registration date and time.

Re-entry After Being Dropped (Academic Drop)

Students dropped from the College of Business are not automatically eligible for re-entry.

As part of the online re-entry application, you will be asked to answer two essays. The essay prompts are provided below so that you may prepare your responses in advance.

  • Please explain what you have been doing since you left the University of Illinois: (education, employment, etc.)
  • What circumstances pertain to your academic difficulties? What adjustments have you made in your personal, social, or economic situations that have improved your chances for academic success?

You are required to submit official transcripts to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
901 West Illinois Street, Suite 103
Urbana, IL 61801

For the spring 2018 semester, information regarding drop status and appeals will be communicated by January 5, 2018 to your Illinois email account. More information regarding drop status can be found at http://publish.illinois.edu/businessmajors/advising/probation-or-drop-status/.

AP and IB exams must be taken prior to enrolling in any college-level coursework. Departmental proficiency tests are usually given at the beginning of each fall and spring semester. Detailed information is available at http://cte.illinois.edu/testing/pnp/proficiency.html.

Transfer grades are included in your cumulative GPA.

What courses can I transfer from other institutions?

You can receive transfer credit for any course that has been approved for transfer by the University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions. That office, together with the university’s colleges and departments, regularly evaluates courses offered at Illinois community colleges, as well as any work from other institutions submitted by students wishing to transfer to here.

Determining how transfer credits are applied to satisfy your graduation requirements can be complicated. Some credits may transfer as specific U of I courses, and therefore satisfy specific degree requirements. Others may transfer only as hours of credit in a general area, and therefore as open electives only. Work with your academic advisor to determine how your transfer credits can be applied in your program.

Special rule for ACCY 201 & 202: Both courses must be taken at UIUC or the entire sequence must be completed off campus. You may not split the sequence between UIUC and a transfer institution. You may complete the sequence at two different transfer institutions.

How can I tell what course at my local college is the equivalent of a course at Illinois?

You can see how courses at community colleges and four-year institutions across the country transfer to the University of Illinois using the Transferology™ link: http://www.transferology.com/school/illinois

The first time you access Transferology, you will be asked to create an account.

Pay close attention to these equivalency listings: If there are multiple courses on the left side, this means you must take all the courses shown to get transfer credit for any course (or courses) shown on the right; taking anything less than all the courses shown on the left will likely earn no credit at all at U of I. If the Illinois number isn’t specific — for example, if it reads HDFS 1–, then the transfer course will earn credit but won’t count as any specific Illinois course. Courses listed as NOTR 1–*** NON TRANSFERABLE do not transfer.

* If you do not see the U of I in the list of schools, please use the Looking for a particular school? link to search for UIUC in the nationwide search – select Illinois as the State and then select University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign near the bottom of the school list. Then click the View Matches button to either see your matches or to use the Request information button to reach out to us for information.

How do I get my work at another institution transferred to Illinois?

When you’ve completed the course at the other institution, ask them to send your transcript to the University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions (see Parkland College’s transcript request here). Official transcripts can be sent through U.S. mail or electronically (PDF) to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
901 West Illinois Street, Suite 103
Urbana, IL 61801

Currently electronic transcripts submitted through Docufile, eScrip Safe, and the Illinois Electronic Transcript Exchange (XAP) are accepted. Electronic transcripts can also be sent to etranscript@illinois.edu directly from the institution. If a transcript is received through this account from a student, it will not be considered official.

Don’t deliver the transcript yourself — the Undergraduate Admission’s office will not accept transcripts directly from students. It generally takes about three to six weeks for the credit to show on your record; you can check your DARS report or Academic History in Student Self-Service to see if the credit has posted.

Can I enroll at another institution while I’m taking courses at Illinois?

Yes, but you should work closely with your Academic Advisor. In order to meet the Residency Requirement, you must complete at least 60 credits at UIUC and at least 21 of those credit must be 300/400 level advanced courses.

If, for example, you want to take a course at Parkland College during a fall term when you’re also taking courses at Illinois, obtain a Concurrent Enrollment form online , then take it to Parkland to complete the registration process.

Cancellation Before the Semester Begins

You may cancel your registration before the end of the business day prior to the first day of classes. A cancellation no later than the business day before the first day of instruction results in a cancellation of all tuition and fee charges for that semester.

How to cancel:

  • Log online to UI-Integrate Self-Service (Banner), find the registration module and select add/drop classes. Use the “web-drop” provision for each of your classes. However, when you attempt to drop your last class, the system will prompt you to use the electronic notification of intent to cancel your registration. This electronic notification is time stamped, and must be submitted no later than the business day before the first day of instruction to be eligible for cancellation. You can access more information at the Office of the Registrar.
  • Submit a request for cancellation of registration to the Office of the Registrar. The request must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the business day before the first day of instruction of the term you wish to cancel. Requests by mail should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar, 901 West Illinois Street, Urbana, IL 61801 or in person at the Records Service Center, 901 West Illinois Street, by 5:00 p.m. on the business day before the first day of instruction of the term you wish to cancel.

Withdrawal During the Semester

Once the semester begins, you can no longer cancel but you can request to withdraw. If you experience extenuating circumstances that require you to leave campus for an extended period of time or encounter events that negatively impact your ability to academically progress, then you can exercise your option to withdraw. A withdrawal means you are ending your enrollment in classes and does not necessarily mean that you are formally ending your admission to Illinois or your ability to register for subsequent semesters at Illinois.

How to withdraw:

  • Complete an official withdrawal form in the Office of Undergraduate Affairs in 1055 BIF. This form requires you to obtain signatures from several campus offices and then submit the form to the Office of Admissions and Records.
  • You cannot withdraw yourself via the web using UI-Integrate Self-Service.
  • If you fail to follow the official withdrawal procedure – e.g. you simply stop going to classes and leave campus, then you are still responsible for tuition and fee assessments and will earn “F” grades in your classes.
  • Refunds for tuition and fees are provided on a pro-rata basis depending on the date of the withdrawal. Special refund policies apply if you withdraw to enter either active duty in the armed forces or other approved national defense.
  • More information and the applicable refund deadlines are available from the Office of the Registrar.


  • If you begin the withdrawal process after the ninth week of the semester, or later, you may be subject to having conditions imposed on your withdrawal and/or your ability to enroll for subsequent semesters.
  • NCAA athletes must first consult with their academic counselors.
  • International students must first consult with ISSS counselors.