Am I Looking at the Right Degree Audit?

I thought now would be as good a time as any to remind people of some of the tips and tricks of checking your degree audits through U.Achieve. I’m going to make this a continuing series on the blog. The degree audit can be a confusing document, and I’d like to help make it easier for all of you to understand how it works. I’ll start off with a few frequently asked questions.

Why do I see a third Cultural Studies requirement?

If you see three categories under Cultural Studies (Western or Comparative Cultures, Non-Western Cultures, and U.S. Minority Cultures), then you are running your audit using a Fall 2018 Catalog Year. You don’t want to do that unless you will be a new freshman or transfer student in Fall 2018. Those students will need to complete one additional General Education requirement, but if you began studying at Illinois in Spring 2018 or before that, you only need to complete a Western or Comparative Cultures course and a Non-Western or U.S. Minority Cultures course.

What is my Catalog Year?

Your official Catalog Year is the year you matriculated at any college or university. This is usually set by your UIUC College when you begin studying here. However, in certain cases, you may need to run your degree audit using a different Catalog Year. Here are some of those cases:

–If you are pursuing a concentration in Psychology

Clinical/Community, Organizational, Developmental, Behavioral Neuroscience, and        Cognitive Psychology all require a Catalog Year of Fall 2015 or later.

Social/Personality and General Psychology require a Catalog Year of Fall 2015-             Spring 2017. If your official Catalog Year is Fall 2017 or later, you cannot declare            either of these concentrations.

Cognitive Neuroscience, Diversity Science, Social Psychology, Personality                     Psychology, and Intradisciplinary Psychology all require a Catalog Year of Fall 2017       or later.

If you are checking your progress in a different major that has changed requirements   since you matriculated

– For example, you may have begun studying at a community college in Fall 2014,            but you want to declare a second major in Spanish at Illinois. That major changed          its requirements in 2017, so you would want to run your audit using a Fall 2017             Catalog Year.

As always, please e-mail or visit me or your ARO in the College of LAS to ask questions if you have trouble understanding your degree audit. We’re here to help!