How the program works:
· ASCE East Branch will provide successful applicants with the required text book(s) for all CEE 300 level courses in which they are enrolled for the upcoming semester. Before distributing the books, a deposit of $20-$50 per book (depending on the price of the textbook) will be collected by ASCE East Branch. If the books are returned in good condition at the end of the semester, the deposit will be returned. If the books are not returned, or are not in good condition at the end of the semester, the deposit will be forfeited to ASCE East Branch.
All components of the application will be reviewed and weighed equally.
· Resume – This needs to be a professional resume, something that you would be prepared to submit to a potential employer. It is important that you highlight your relevant work experiences. If you have conducted any research, provide concise research details.
· Unofficial Transcript – This transcript needs to show which CEE 300 level courses you are enrolled in for the following semester.
· A short statement (1-2 paragraphs) of why you should be selected for the book loan program –Statements longer than 1 page will not be considered.
· A list of CEE 300 level courses that you are requesting books for through the book loan program.
Students interested in the book loan program need to submit a complete application via email no later than 5:00PM, Wednesday December 09, 2015 (last day of classes). Applications should be submitted to Kate Schmitt at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “ASCE Book Loan Program Application” in the subject line. All components of the application need to be attached to the email in PDF format. Applications that are not complete and/or do not follow the instructions stated above will not be considered. Applications received later than 5:00PM on Wednesday December 9, 2015 will not be considered.
The ASCE East Branch board of directors will review all complete applications by the end of December 2015. Successful applicants will be notified via the email used to submit the application by the end of December 2015. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
If you have any questions about the book loan program, or the application requirements, please contact Kate Schmitt at email@example.com.
Join us at the Colonial Room for lunch with Dr. Rutherford! We’ll be meeting just outside the Colonial Room (NE corner of the Union) at noon. Register below – we only have 10 seats available, so don’t miss out! ASCE members get priority, so make sure you sign up if you haven’t done so yet.
You’ll receive a confirmation e-mail the night before the lunch.
Location: The Colonial Room at the Illini Union
Guest of Honor: Dr. Cassandra Rutherford
Cost: FREE – ASCE will be taking care of the bill
Date: Tuesday November 17th, 2015
Time: Noon (meet at 11:50 am outside Colonial Room)
Here is the link https://docs.google.com/a/illinois.edu/forms/d/1l0hDkQeI7J9ysUJPJTi99RKyfnDUpfu5hOqklniPjsw/viewform?usp=send_form
Also, on December 1st, ASCE will host a professor lunch with Dr. Lang. More info on that to follow.
If you want to run for a position on the ASCE board, fill out the following. Applications are due Friday, November 6 at 11:59pm. Remember you must be a paying ASCE Student Chapter member in order to run. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1iyPTcayvtTtX8FExauCzjV4QhkkqVN9G-NKiXQCUK8w/viewform
Our next general meeting will be 3NOV. Collins will be presenting and collecting resumes. Papa Del’s will be provided. Location is Newmark 3310.
Date: Monday, November 9
Time: Sign-in starts 5:30pm
Dinner from 6pm-8pm
Location: Illini Union, Illini Room A
Attire: business professional
Many companies take prospective employees out to lunch or dinner where proper etiquette is expected. Come learn about proper etiquette with ASCE UIUC and the local ASCE branch! There will be a professional civil engineer at every table for students to talk with and answer questions they may have.
A message from Delta Airport Consultants: We are currently seeking candidates for a full-time, entry-level position starting in June 2016 in our Charlotte, NC office. We are accepting applications this fall through the end of the day on November 2, 2015. The job posting is on I-link. We are a 70-person firm that does work exclusively on airports, focusing in on civil site design. In addition to engineering design and construction services, we offer planning services as well as aviation consulting services. Individuals with a strong interest in aviation, land development, and transportation have been the best fits for working with Delta. Our design process includes elements of grading and drainage design, pavement design, erosion and sediment control design, construction phasing, and dealing with specifications. We do not do any structural or geotechnical work.
There are many upcoming events with ASCE, so be sure to mark your calendars!
Curtis Apple Orchard on 17 October.
Hard Hat and Safety Vest Bar Crawl on 22 October.
Carving pumpkins on the Engineering Quad on 30 October.
A site tour to the Army Corp of Engineers on 7 November.
Here is the link for signing up for the professor lunch with Dr Roesler on 13 October. Copy and paste it into your browser search bar. Also make sure you are signed out of your gmail account before you search for the address. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_forms_kLVYg2YfPq&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=3L0DjQGEeMHsMhvmWtCGkpBBOsAUmksImQPwn7Nq08w&m=IefBYlvF6mtod5zquSGUfiT8tEXycWZD7Upw707zDGE&s=1IWccxbhVCZJNZexkCAmyJRJf8LRHZFFHG1GyeSh-Lw&e=
In case you missed the last general meeting, here is the link to the info slides presented by ASCE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlo7n7t07vdyzma/24SEP%20GM.pptx?dl=0