Ali Khanafer, PhD
Data Science, Decision and Control, Network Game Theory
Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Email: khanafe2 [at] illinois [dot] edu
I obtained my PhD from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, in December 2014, under the guidance of Prof. Tamer Başar. My research interests lie at the intersection of game theory, optimal control theory, multi-agent systems, and data science (machine learning & statistics). I am also interested in applications to epidemics control, communication and computer networks, social networks, cyber-physical systems, and cloud computing.
Please contact me if you would like to see my research and teaching statements.
- Jan’15: Paper titled “Context-aware wireless small cell networks: How to exploit user information for resource allocation” accepted at IEEE ICC’15 (with Prof. Basar and Prof. Saad)
- Dec’14: Presented two papers at IEEE CDC’14. One on epidemics and the other on distributed supervisory control.
- Dec’14: Invited talk on epidemics at the 2014 Canadian Mathematical Society (CMS) Winter Meeting, Hamilton, Canada
- Oct’14: Talk at Sysomos, Toronto, Canada
- Oct’14: Paper title “On the optimal control of virus spread in networks” has appeared in the proceedings of NetGCoop’14 (with Prof. Basar)
- Sep’14: Talk at Huawei Technologies, Ottawa, Canada
- Aug’14: Awarded the NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship!
- Jul’14: Invited WiSense seminar at the University of Ottawa, Canada
- Jun’14: ACC’14
- May’14: Talk at the International Conference on Control, Dynamic Systems,and Robotics (CDSR’14), Ottawa, Canada
- Apr’14: Talk at the 3rd Midwest Workshop on Control and Game Theory (WCGT’14), Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Apr’14: Presenting a poster at CPSWeek’14, Berlin, Germany.
- Mar’14: Best Poster Award at NSF ECP (among 50 posters) — Received full support to attend CPSWeek’14 at Berlin!
- Mar’14: Selected to give a talk at the 2014 NSF Early Career Professionals’ Workshop on Exploring New Frontiers in Cyber-Physical Systems (ECP), Washington, D.C.
- Feb’14: Paper titled “Stability properties of infected networks with low curing rates” has been accepted for publication at ACC 2014 (with Prof. Basar and Prof. Gharesifard)
- Feb’14: Winner of the Best Video Abstract at ITA’14!
- Feb’14: Watch my video abstract for the talk at ITA: Information spread in networks: Control, games, and equilibria
- Feb’14: Nominated by UIUC to give a talk during ITA’s Graduation Day! (Wednesday, Feb. 12, at 11:20am)
- Jan’14: Invited talk at the ECE department at McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- Dec’13: Presented our recent paper “Robust distributed averaging on networks with adversarial intervention” at CDC’13, Florence, Italy. Behrouz Touri and Prof. Tamer Başar are my co-authors
- Dec’13: Chairing an optimal control session at CDC’13, Florence, Italy
- Dec’13: Two lectures on optimal control at ECE 515
- Oct’13: Guest lecturer at ECE 515 (Control System Theory and Design) taught by Prof. Tamer Başar
- Oct’13: Passed my Preliminary Examination. Professors on my committee: Tamer Başar, Ali Belabbas, Daniel Liberzon, and R. Srikant
- Sept’13: Visiting Prof. Bahman Gharesifard, Queen’s University